Wednesday, February 21, 2007

THE TRIP ACTUALLY BEGINS!

img_9442.jpgFebruary 15th 2007
We spent almost two weeks waiting for the registration and title to my bike so that we’d be able to pass through the U.S./Mexico border legally. After that quick trip up to L.A. and back to pick up my registration the next day we set out to try and make it through the border without the title (another week apparently before it would arrive) and were just hoping that all would go well. We set off down I-5 and followed it to the terminus and went through without even being stopped. Not exactly what we expected but nonetheless very fortuitous (although we’ll soon see if we can make it out of the country). We wanted to avoid the whole Tijuana Americana so we took the scenic route down the coast to a place that our friend Karen recommended to us called Bahia San Quintin. Along the way we were graced with gorgeous cliffs and scenic beaches as well as Burger King, KFC, and the nadir that is Walmart. Luckily we kept going.

Apparently the rule in Mexico is, “Never Drive At Night,” but we had a destination and we didn’t really know where else to go so after an hour of noche we finally came to a T in the road which led to Bahia San Quintin. The base of the T consisted of a very, very deep sand road. Let’s make it clear that this is really my first day of riding my motorcycle any distance let alone over any questionable ground. And it was a two mile road to the Old Mill Hotel that we were heading for. Josh started out ahead with his dirt bike with knobby tires and I followed behind with my street tires and inexperience to guide me. After a few close calls in which my headlight was swinging almost ninety degrees each way as I attempted to stay upright I was able to get the hang of it. Once we got to the Inn I had to empty my shoes of the sand dunking that they had taken and we were able to get a room for the night.

I have to say that after my first ‘full’ day my back was killing me and I really needed a massage, alas Josh was unwilling to fulfill that wish.
google-earth-bahia-de-san-quintin.jpg
Bahia de San Quintin